GRAND LITTLE TOURS
DESCRIPTION OF THE VALLEY
TOWNS ALONG THE TOUR
Podenzano ||| Vigolzone ||| Pontedellolio ||| Bettola
Farini ||| Ferriere ||| San Giorgio ||| Pontenure
FARMS HOLIDAY IN THE PROVINCE
DESCRIPTION OF THE VALLEY
The Nure valley, although an important valley in its own right, has nonetheless remained a "closed" valley because it lacked a direct and well defined passage over the Appennines till the early 1960's.
The Nure river, which gives its name to the valley, has its source on the Northern slopes of Mt. Nero (1754 m. a.s.l.) and after a course of about 75 Km. - the second longest of the province - flows into the Po river 10 Km. East of Piacenza, in the vicinity of Roncaglia.
The upper valley is somewhat influenced by the sea air keeping it free of fog and strong winds, and therefore relatively pleasant even during the winter months.
In this valley there are 79 fortifications (castles, fortified towers and dwellings, etc.) For information about visiting the castles, please call: 0523 329324
|HOW TO GET THERE|
We leave Piacenza Southbound to pick up highway S.S. 654 at the intersection with S.S. 45 (this road takes you in the Trebbia valley).
|WHAT TO SEE|
One of the main attraction of the valley is the hamlet of Grazzano Visconti; in addition there are castles, old churches, old rural hamlets and towns.
During the summer months the "Pro loco" associations of each town, are busy organizing various festivities with cultural and artistic themes.
In the upper valley we find the highest mountains in the province of Piacenza: Mt. Bue, 1777 m. a.s.l.; Mt. Ragola, 1711 m. a.s.l.; Mt. Nero, 1753 m. a.s.l.; Mt. Maggiorasca - at the boundary with the province of Genova - 1800 m. a.s.l.; the many trails criss-crossing these mountains will reward the hiker with vistas of high pastures, meadows and small lakes - remnants of the Würmian Glaciation.
TOUR OF NURE VALLEY (180 KM. with side tour)ITINERARY
(118 m. a.s.l.)
Along the tree-bordered road, just before Podenzano, we reach Gariga (in the area were found remains of mosaics and Roman tombs) where a castle, now a noble country-residence, stands; on the East side of the structure traces of the draw bridge are still visible; on the first floor there are elegant rooms with panelled ceilings.|
In Podenzano, 11 Km. from Piacenza, there is a XVI c. castle built on the remains of one first mentioned in 1152. The castle, now the town hall, was rebuilt in the XVI c. with stone walls on a rectangular plan , and boasts two cylindrical and two square towers at the corners.
The Romanesque Oratory of St. Germano (IX c.), by now transformed in Baroque style, has the apse decorated with small suspended arches along the cornice, and has kept its original fine bell tower.
The Physicist and Mathematician Giuseppe Veneziani (1772-1853), was born in Podenzano.
(165 m. a.s.l.)
For information phone: 0523 870131
|Half way between Podenzano and Vigolzone we must stop to visit the church of Maiano on the right side of the road. This Romanesque style church was already in existence in the XI c. together with a hospice for the pilgrims going to Rome; in fact still visible in the two-arched window, on the East side of the bell tower, are a terra-cotta knife and a bowl; symbols that the pilgrims were welcome to stay here for free; inside there is a fresco from the 1400 representing Our Lady of Graces. Now the church is frequently used for weddings ceremonies. |
A little further on we arrive to the internationally famous Grazzano Visconti. This village, with the castle originally built in 1395 but now renovated and closed to the public, is a rather unique and rare example of neo-medieval surroundings, built by Count Giuseppe Modrone of Milan, at the beginning of 1900 according to "the tendency of the Italian architectural revival of the 1800 and 1900".
In Vigolzone, 16 Km. from Piacenza, there is a castle that was originally built in 1095; at the time it was considered to be the strongest fortification in the Nure valley, but eventually it was conquered and destroyed. The present rectangular-plan structure was rebuilt according to the 1800's style and boasts a 40 meters tall keep where once stood the draw bridge, and large towers alternating at the corners.
(210 m. a.s.l.)
For information phone : 0523 878468
|Five kilometers after Vigolzone we cross the Nure river and enter in Pontedellolio (also Ponte dell'Olio), which means "Oil Bridge", and named as such because of the high level of commerce in olive oil that used to arrive here from the Ligurian coast, transported over the Appennine passes along mule tracks.|
Worth visiting are the Baroque style Oratory of St. Rocco - XV c. - where, in the apse, we find a 1619 painting of the Modonna and Saints; the parish church of St. Giacomo where, on the wall to the left, there is a St. Giacomo in Glory, painted by Giuseppe Peroni and in a chapel at the right of the presbytery, we find 13 paintings representing the Sacred Mysteries dated in the XVII c.
The fine St. Bono palace also belongs to the Baroque style; at one time it was surrounded by a lovely park, where in 1819 the unfortunate queen of England, Caroline of Brunswick resided.
From Pontedellolio there is a road that goes to Rivergaro in the Trebbia Valley
Two kilometers past Pontedellolio, and just before entering the hamlet of Riva, there is the church of Our Lady of the Snow, in which there are two sculptures in wood attributed to the Flemish artist Jan Hermansz Geernaert, one is a Crucifix dated 1775, and the other a Madonna dated 1739.
(329 m. a.s.l.)
For information phone : 0523 917718
|Continuing towards Bettola, we notice on the other side of the river the silhouette of Spettine castle which we'll visit on our return (see San Giorgio, below); on our left is Mt. Santo, standing at 676 m. a.s.l., on top of which there are rather imposing ruins of a castle reachable by a dirt road.|
Before entering Bettola, on the way to Bramaiano, we notice a fine and pleasing building with elegant loggias and verandas of the XVI c. and the Farnese tower.
SIDE TOURS: from the main piazza we can drive up to Pradello, visit Colombo's Tower, and continue to the Cerro Pass (766 m. a.s.l.), from where a mule track takes us, in about 5 Km., to the Montosero summit at 1301 m. a.s.l.; from here, on clear days, one can admire the Padana Valley and the Alpine arc. In addition in the parish church of St. Lawrence in Calenzano (15 Km. from Bettola), built in 1670, we will find paintings by Roberto De Longe and Sebastiano Galeotti.
(426 m. a.s.l.)
For information phone: 0523 910110
|The municipality of Farini was established only in 1928. The town, 43 Km. from Piacenza, well situated on the left bank of the Nure, is surrounded by an interesting and rich natural environment encompassing hamlets which still display the traditional architecture.|
SIDE TOURS: following a twisting and panoramic road on the East side of the town we arrive, after 8 Km. in Groppallo, 950 m. a.s.l. The parish church, built in the XV c., is situated on the rocky "rump" of the mountain from where we have an extensive view of the valley and the mountains all around.
View some of his paintings at the GALLERIA RICCI ODDI DI PIACENZA
To the West, 17 Km. from Farini, following a rather scenic road there is Pradovera, 937 m. a.s.l., attractive summer vacation area, located in a lovely spot surrounded by mountains. In the vicinity, still visible, are the ruins of the ancient stronghold standing on a rocky abutment.
After Pradovera we can continue to Santa Barbara, and always keeping to the left we arrive in Mareto, 955 m. a.s.l., a small but pleasant hamlet located on the slopes of Mt. Aserei, 1431m. a.s.l. In Mareto was born the Theologian and Historian Father Felice da Mareto, of the Order of the Capuchin Friars.
Always continuing towards Farini we arrive in Cogno St. Savino, 829 m. a.s.l. and 5 Km. from Farini.
(626 m. a.s.l.)
For information phone : 0523 922229
|We leave Farini Southward on the fine panoramic road that takes us to Ferriere.|
At about 5 Km. from Farini we turn left on the road to Montereggio reached in another 7 Km. The hamlet, surrounded by the rocky peaks of Mt. Burrasca, Mt. Groppo and the Cinque Dita (Five fingers) group, has many of its dwellings still displaying their 1700 architecture style. Interesting visit to the church of the Castle dated 1000 A. D.
Ricently, several coins and remains of bricks from Roman times have been found in the area.
We backtrack and proceed to Ferriere.
The grandfather of the great physicist Henry Fermi was from Ferriere.
Ferriere is an excellent starting point for beautiful excursions in the surrounding mountains.
From Ferriere there is a road that connects to the Trebbia Valley via the Mercatello Pass (1050 m. a.s.l.) at Corte Brugnatella; in addition, proceeding South, via the Zovallo Pass (1408 m. a.s.l.) we arrive in the Aveto Valley and eventually to the Ligurian coast at Chiavari.
|SAN GIORGIO PIACENTINO
(103 m. a.s.l.)
For information phone : 0523 539423
|Having reached the end of the Nure Valley we make our way back to the lowlands. But once in Riva we cross onto the left bank of the Nure at Carmiano, famous location for its excellent wine, and proceed towards the castle of Spettine. Here we observe some dwellings built in the XV and XVI c.; the central section of the castle, with the keep reinforced by a buttress, still in good condition; inside there is a large room with an ancient fireplace and its original wooden panelled ceiling .|
Across the yard, there are two dwellings one called the "women's prison" and the other the "men's prison"; also still visible are the ruins of the church, believed to be the oldest of the province, built on the Latin cross plan with the main altar facing East.
Back on the main road, once in Pontedellolio, instead of crossing the bridge and proceed towards Piacenza, we keep to the right and follow a secondary road (SP 36) that takes us to San Giorgio, 13 Km. away.
The castle of San Giorgio, believed to have been built before the year 1000 A. D., was once the residence of the Anguissola family, but now houses the town hall.
Close by, in the middle of a park, proudly stands Villa Gazzola also called "La Rocca" (The Fortress), built in 1610 and displaying a well balanced architecture the design of which is attributed to the great Vignola; the upper portion of the building was altered by Lotario Tomba at the end of the 1700.
(64 m. a.s.l.)
For information phone : 0523 510142
|We leave San Giorgio on the way to Pontenure in an Eastern direction on the road to Montanaro, but just before entering the hamlet we turn left towards Paderna. Here stands the antique and well kept castle which was rebuilt in 1453. The massive building is still surrounded by a moat with a mighty keep at the main entrance, and a quadrangular tower erected in 1280.|
Within the walls the little church of St. Mary was built at the beginning of the XI c. on an interesting quadrangular plan and divided in nine bays; the visible architectural elements supporting the arches are from the Roman Imperial Period, and were probably found in the area.
For visits to the castle please call first at: 0523 51645.
Continuing North we arrive in Valconasso where we can admire an Oratory built in the XV c. with Gothic style forms and adorned with votive frescoes by a variety of artists at the request of Giovanna Scotti in 1505.
We now proceed in a Northern direction and, in 4 Km., arrive in Pontenure.
Piacenza is 8 Km. away.
The above data was gleaned from the following publications:
*** Emilia Romagna (Guida d'Italia , Touring Club Italiano - 1991)
*** Guida della Provincia di Piacenza ( T.E.P. Gallarati Editore - 1974)
*** Guida Amministrativa e Turistica Piacenza (Azienda Promozione Turistica e Automobile Club Piacenza - 1992)
*** Guida Antologica a cura della Camera di Commercio di Piacenza - No. 3 e 4 Valdarda e Valchero, G. Franco Scognamilio e Gino Macellari (1975).
 Photomontage: Detail of a hayloft in the vicinity of Carpaneto Piacentino and in the background a side view of the castle in Castell'Arquato.
TIDONE VALLEY= ace of cups; purple colour = The venyards and a barrel of wine.
TREBBIA VALLEY= ace of swords; blue colour = The blue water of the Trebbia river/torrent.
NURE VALLEY= ace of batons; green colour = The forests of the upper valley.
ARDA VALLEY= ace of coins; sandybrown colour = The Easter eggs game in Fiorenzuola d'Arda and the cliffs of Lugagnano.