PIACENZA - ITALY

:::::
:::
:::::
:::
PALAZZO COMUNALE - PIACENZA
:::
:::::
:::
PALAZZO COMUNALE - 1281   note
[also called Palazzo Gotico]
Outstanding monument to secular Lombard architecture.   source #2

*****
COMPILED BY GIORGIO ZANETTI - OTTAWA, MAY - 2003
HOME

LIST OF ARTISTS AND THEIR MASTERPIECES
IN THE
:::
:::
:::::
:::
DUOMO - PIACENZA, from primitaly.it site
:::
:::::
:::
DUOMO (1122 - 1233)
(CATHEDRAL)


LE ORIGINI
DAL 1600 A OGGI
ARTE NEL DUOMO
VIRTUAL TOUR 360
PIACENZA MUSEI - LA CATTEDRALE
DUOMO - OLD PRINT  |||||  FLOOR PLAN
LA CATTEDRALE - SPLENDORE DEL XII SECOLO (Italian)
THE DIOCESE OF PIACENZA - BOBBIO (CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA - C. E.)


SERAFINO SERAFINI
MODENA 1346 - FERRARA 1387

Antiphonaries and a triptych, circa 1390.

GIANGIACOMO DI BARTOLOMEO DA GENOVA
Choir stalls, 1471.

LODOVICO CARRACCI
BOLOGNA 1555 - BOLOGNA 1619

* Choir stalls paintwork.
* David and Isaiah.
* Angels sprinkling flowers.
* Paradise.

PIER FRANCESCO MAZZUCCHELLI
IL MORAZZONE

MORAZZONE 1571 - MILANO 1626

Morazzone started painting the dome of the Duomo in 1625, but died the year after, leaving the work unfinished (see Il Guercino.)

CAMILLO PROCACCINI
BOLOGNA 1574 - MILANO 1625

* Life of St. Martin (also Fiamminghino); choir stalls paintwork.
* Life of St. Alessio.
* Transition of the Virgin.
* Assumption of the Virgin.
* Incoronation of the Virgin.

GUIDO RENI
BOLOGNA 1575 - BOLOGNA 1642

* St. Jerome.

GIAN MAURO DELLA ROVERE
FIAMMINGHINO

MILANO 1575 - c. 1640

* Life of St. Martin.
GIOVANNI FRANCESCO BARBIERI
IL GUERCINO

CENTO 1591 - BOLOGNA 1666

Il Guercino painted the dome of the Duomo (already begun by Morazzone in 1625/26) depicting the "Prophets".
OTHER ARTISTS ASSOCIATED WITH THE DUOMO

  • Martyrdom of St. Agnes
  • Deposition of the Virgin
  • Frescoes
  • Crucifixion - 1472
  • Wedding of St. Catherine
  • Polyptych




LIST OF ARTISTS AND THEIR MASTERPIECES
IN

:::
:::
:::::
:::
DOME OF SANTA MARIA DI CAMPAGNA - PIACENZA, from chiesacattolica.it site
:::
:::::
:::
SANTA MARIA DI CAMPAGNA (1522-1528)

MAIN ALTAR
VIRTUAL TOUR 360
SANTA MARIA DI CAMPAGNA
PIACENZA MUSEI - SANTA MARIA DI CAMPAGNA
THE DOME   |||||   INTERNO   |||||   SANTA MARIA DI CAMPAGNA


ALESSIO TRAMELLO
PIACENZA 1470 - PIACENZA 1528/9

* The church was built by the great Renaissance architect Tramello.


GIOVANNI ANTONIO DE SACCHIS
IL PORDENONE

PORDENONE 1484 - FERRARA 1539

* St. Augustin
* Adoration of the Magi
* Nativity of Mary
* The shepards' adoration.
* Flight to Egypt

* Various paintings in the Chapel of St. Catherine
* Biblical figures and mithological scenes in the    lantern of the dome


BERNARDINO GATTI
IL SOJARO

PAVIA 1495 - CREMONA 1576

* Frescoes in the drum section of the dome, depicting the life of the Virgin.
* St. George

OTHER ARTISTS ASSOCIATED WITH SANTA MARIA DI CAMPAGNA

  • CAMILLO PROCACCINI
  • GUERCINO
  • FRANCESCO E FERDINANDO GALLI BIBBIENA
  • IGNAZIO STERN
  • CAMILLO GAVASETTI
  • DANIELE DA VOLTERRA
  • ALESSANDRO TIARINI
  • DANIELE CRISPI
  • GIULIO ROSSI
  • St. Francis; St. Rock; St. Sebastian
  • Angel appearinig to Manoah and his wife
  • Frescoes in the chapel of St. Anthony
  • Annunciation (1724)
  • Rebekah; Jacob meeting Rachel
  • Deposition
  • Abigail meeting David
  • Deborah in the battelfield
  • Choir stalls (1565)


NOTE: The Palazzo Comunale (also called Palazzo Gotico; m.n.) is the most notable building in Piacenza; it is one of the earliest of such palaces of municipal life in Italy; it is in itself a most notable and harmonious building, boldly irregular, and gloriously successful in its irregularity, in the colouring and charm of the brickwork and marble, and in the richness of the elaborate terra-cotta decorations. It is the typical Borletto. There is an open ground storey; five lofty pointed arches on square piers of white marble carry an upper storey of red bricks, which is crowned by a marble cornice and the familiar forked or swallow-tailed "Saracenic" battlements. A deligtfully harmonious transition of colour is secured by lines of red and blu-grey marble above the white, and below the string-course, which separetes them from the red brik of the upper storey. Six windows of three lights, embossed under a round arch with a deep archivolt very slightly recessed, are set flat in the wall. They vary in size and detail, and are very elaborately decorated with terra-cotta work. They illuminate the Great Hall, where sat the Council of the State.

The above notes and the picture of the Palazzo Comunale in Piacenza are from the book "VENETIA & NORTHERN ITALY" by Cecil Headlam, illustrated in colour by Gordon Home; J. M. Dent & Co. London; MCMVIII

SOURCES:
1) LE CHIESE DI PIACENZA; Ersilio Fausto Fiorentini; Edizioni TEP, Piacenza; 1985
2) ITALY; A Phaidon Cultural Guide; Prentice-Hall, Inc.; Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey; 1985

LINKS CHECKED FEBRUARY - 2010